Before the temperature starts jumping into the triple digits, it’s time to make sure your air conditioning unit is ready to take on the summer heat! In addition to having a regular maintenance check from your Sacramento HVAC professional, its important to know what to look for when it comes to signs that your AC unit could be on its way out, because the last thing you want is to be stuck without a functioning air conditioner during a California summer day!
Below we have put together a list of the warning signs of an AC unit that is about to die; take a look at the 7 signs below and if any of them apply to your air conditioner, be sure to get in touch with your heating and air company today!
7 signs indicating your AC could be on its way out
- An increase in your energy bills: Even though you can expect seasonal increases in your energy bills during the winter and summer, huge hikes in your energy bill could be an indication that your HVAC system is working too hard. If your air conditioner has to work harder to put out the amount of cool air, there could be an issue with the unit itself and might even need replacing altogether.
- Lack of cool air, poor production: An air-conditioning unit is meant to produce cold air, not just blow air around like a fan would, so if you notice that your AC system isn’t making cold anymore there is probably a problem. It’s important to contact your HVAC professional if this problem persists because the issue could be related to a faulty compressor, a leak in the refrigerant, or another mechanical issue.
- Poor air flow: Similar to sign number 2, a lack of airflow or an inability to perform at peak levels could also be an indication that your AC unit is on the way out. If after checking the air filters and cleaning them the airflow is still weak, it’s a good idea to call an HVAC maintenance professional to schedule an inspection, as this is a sign of mechanical problems as well.
- Frequent repairs: Speaking of repairs, while it’s always important to maintain regular appointments with your HVAC Company, if you notice that you seem to spending more time and money on problems and repairs with your air conditioner, chances are the unit might need replacing. As with any repair or replacement concerns, check with your local HVAC professional for advice before making any decisions.
- Constant start-ups: Any out of the ordinary behavior from an HVAC unit is typically the sign of problem. Should you notice that your system is constantly restarting after just being on (i.e., it has to work harder to keep your home cool), make sure you are up to date with your seasonal tune-ups; if you are up to date and inefficient starts and stops keep happening with your air conditioner, it could be time for an HVAC replacement.
- Making odd noises: The usual noises associated with air conditioners and heaters you are likely already familiar with, but if you ever hear you A/C unit rattling or making high-pitched noises when it’s operating, call your HVAC repair company immediately because this could be a sign that your air conditioner is on its way out!
- Inefficient production: Overtime you may begin to notice that your air conditioner doesn’t perform the way it did in the past; for example, different rooms throughout the house may be cooler than others, it may take longer for the house to cool, etc. Whatever the sign of aging may be, it doesn’t hurt to call a local HVAC professional for advice regarding your specific situation.
So why wait to make sure your AC unit is ready for another record-breaking California summer? Give All Year a call today to schedule your quick, HVAC tune-up today!